Friday, June 15, 2012

Theme Recipe: Spaghetti



I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist.  The first time I ever saw this film was on HBO, but Dad was out of town and I fixed dinner for my mother and myself to watch on TV trays.  About 5 minutes after I served fresh homemade spaghetti, low and behold, the cast sits down to some space food that includes spaghetti...I thought it was really cool....until....well you know!  No, I didn't finish my food.






BASIC HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI

2 to 4 cooking onions, minced
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. fresh black pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 to 8 cloves garlic peeled
1 large can tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 to 2 lb. ground meat of choice
Red wine as needed
1 box regular spaghetti pasta


1.  Place the pepper, salt and oil in a saucepan with the water and bring to boil.  Immediately reduce the heat and add the onions, cook until the water evaporates.  With a garlic press, mash in the garlic cloves.  Add the tomato products and let simmer.

2.  Meanwhile brown the meat in a separate pan and drain the fat off if needed.  Add this to the tomato mixture, along with 1/2 cup red wine and simmer for 2 hours--be sure to check for sticking, add more wine when needed.

3.  Cook the spaghetti al dente in boiling salted water.  Drain and toss with a little extra olive oil.  Plate the pasta and top with sauce.  Add cheese if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment