Friday, September 23, 2011

The Wicker Man (1973)


No way a proper Pagan Friday Frights would be complete without the 1973 horror classic The Wicker Man!  Starring Edward Woodward as the stodgy virgin cop Howie sent the solve the mystery of a supposedly missing child on a strange Scottish island called "Summerisle,"  where he meets up with his co-star Christopher Lee as the singularly odd Lord Summerisle.  


There are a lot practicing Pagans that do not like the film because they think that it shows them in a bad light.  However there are few that really like it, some with very good takes on the film.  The one that makes the most sense is the very credible argument that Sgt. Howie is occupying the venerated role of the ancient Fool (the same Fool found in the  tarot deck); and as one Pagan blogger pointed out, this is not Wicca portrayed in the movie, but rather some type of neo-Celtic practice that includes the old practice of human sacrifice, as old Celtic pre-Christian religions certainly really do from Turkey to France to the British Isles.



The wikipedia article on the actual Wicker Man in history, click here


2 comments:

  1. Truly one of the more bizarre movie-watching experiences I have ever had. Willow's dance scene was entrancing. Even to this day I can not get it out of my head--then again, I'm not sure that I want to.

    My review (if you're interested)
    --J/Metro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I didn't even notice until recently that this comment was here. Sorry for that--I get busy with the working at home and home schooling thing.

    Yeah this is one of the strange "horrors" out there. I say "horror" because it's only really a horror movie at the end, the rest is a playful mystery with folk music--I mean little does Woodward's character know that it's also an initiation ceremony!

    My understanding from a actual practicing neo-Pagan who likes just because it's a good film--he owns something like 5 different cuts of it. It's been so messed with. I don't think anyone has seen the original ending of the credits that had the apples flourishing in the following fall, It seems like someone would put out a cut of it as it was intended by now!!

    Sure I'm interested. Will check it out this evening--Promise. Cheers and Happy Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete