Friday, August 5, 2011

The Snow Creature (1954)




OKay, I'm one of about 22% of the measly 369 voters on IMDb that gave this a 1.  My reasons were more to do with the "white man attitude," such "I told you not to drink around them"--and "let's hope they haven't been monkeying with us" (get it?  Ha ha.  It's an ape creature after and these are "Himalayans" aka Sherpas),  than with the concept of a low budget Yeti film from the 50's.  

Fact is, this is really the first Yeti picture ever, so it at least deserves some marks for that.  Secondly, (and I just looked) the IMDb fan reviewers have much more considered things to say about the film, than do some of my fellow (Google) bloggers (this is so much cooler a link on the film).  

But as far as snow is considered, this the heaven....there are ice caves!!  Also, of course, this is a bit of a rip off of King Kong (1931), because the creature is captured and transported back to the United States.  But, wasn't there a film from 1997 that did the same thing?  Then again there was the 1954 Them that also featured the L.A. storm drains. 

I think I should re-consider my rating.  Though, I have to say, the narration is soooo annoying!  Condescendingly so. Maybe....  Did I mention that the Japanese language seems to be the stock and trade of this Tibetan speaking region....HI!  Wow are those Japanese sailors were way of course, or what??  There is also this Off Course were Japan is concerned. 








I don't know where this is, but it's creepy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment