Friday, May 20, 2011

Ed Wood





This is one of my 3 favorite Tim Burton feature lengths, along with Beetlejuice and Sleepy Hollow (Frankenweenie has also always been a favorite, but obsviously it's a short).  Every time I see this movie, it reminds me how accomplished Burton is with black and white.  He is known for his flamboyant color schemes and brightly colored skewed set pieces--see films like Beetlejuice or Batman or even Edward Scissorhands, and it is hard to imagine that a director with such a colorful vision would seemingly work so effortlessly with black and white (that is until you see Frankenweenie (1984)).  I know that Burton said that working the story of Ed Wood (liberally) out in color would not make sense, I agree.  Maybe it's a bad idea, I would still like to see him work with B&W again--in a different medium.  Something like a Burton take on a classic styled Universal horror vehicle.
















No comments:

Post a Comment